Monday, July 5, 2010

Back to Basics


My most influential coaches often returned to one familiar saying "fundamentals, fundamentals, FUNDAMENTALS!!!" Some of my favorite sports movies customarily have a scene where the team or a player can't seem to get it together; thus the scene continues to where the basic skills have to be repeated over and over until that climatic moment where it clicks and the skills are performed flawlessly. In athletics, and with life in general as it seems, accomplishing what you want is achieved when you do the small things right. Getting back to the basics... whether in concepts or mechanics can make all the difference.
As I reflect on my recent move to A2O Fitness and as the weight of my new occupational direction challenges me I feel myself searching for an 'answer'. For some miraculous means to overcome the obstacles ahead. Certainly there's a book, website, or genius-humanoid who I can latch onto, follow their easy step-by-step plan, and reap the benefits from? Right???
Tonight I confront myself to go back to the basics. Return to the fundamentals of what I know, back to what propelled my passion and calling for this career and livelihood anyway. Instead of crawling ahead in worry and doubt, Propelling myself forward with the desire I had when I started.

No comments: