Wednesday, August 4, 2010

This Is Sparta!

I'm often asked what type of workouts I do. After putting people through grueling workouts all day long, people want to know how the 'trainer trains'. My personal workouts vary, and it's not fair to compare your workouts to others because we all have different goals in mind. We define our own fitness, some want to be able to run for miles on end and others may want to be strong enough to push a dump truck! -whatever those goals are make them your own!
One of the best tools to gauge your fitness is to perform some sort of assessment (based off your goals). That may mean taking measurements, or having someone take them for you, or performing a series of physical tests like push ups/ pull ups/ and squats or your 1 mile time; and then come back to them 4-6 weeks later and re-assess them. Doing this will help you establish your starting point and then give you a serious way to measure your results down the road.
Ok, so what type of workouts do I do? Here is one of my personal favorites, published by Menshealth.com and made famous by the physics of the Spartan Warriors in the film "300". It has become one that I use not only as an insane workout but also to measure my fitness. Whether or not I can complete it or not is a good indicator to me if I am at the level of conditioning I want to be.

- The Goal: finish ALL 300 reps in as fast of sequence as you can. Think that's tough? Try completing it 2x in under 45 minutes!
"300"
25 Pull Ups
50 Deadlifts (135 lbs)
50 Push Ups
50 24'' Box Jumps
50 Floor Sweepers (135 lbs)
50 KettleBell Clean & Press
25 Pull Ups

No comments: