Monday, January 5, 2009

You'll be Crushed!


honestly, as an athlete I have overcome many trials and tribulations (like all athletes have) to pursue the sport they love. But none are more damaging than those trials that are mental. The psyche of sport plays a major role in success, and the best athletes in the world have the ability to go above and beyond to overcome any defeat, especially any mental trash that cuts deeper than any physical challenge.

...Today I have been cut. As I take on the challenge to prepare myself, both physically and mentally, for the Boise Half-Ironman, today I was literally told to my face that this race was out of my ability, and that it would "crush me."

I have to say, I let it beat me. I know I'm in over my head, that this is the first race of this kind that I'm enduring. Nonetheless, I've chosen to take it on! And KNOW that with my dedication, my athletic discipline and ability that this event is mine for the taking!!! I'm going to take that mental trash and use it! Not going to let it beat me, it's now my new motivation!

1 comment:

J said...

Austin, I want to punch in the face the person who said that to you. But not really. But I am glad that you are not listening to nonsense. I'm really proud of you for being so dedicated to this. I think you are great.