Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Style

Following Fitness blogs is one of my favorite downtime activities. Not so much to find the newest 'trend' in the fitness industry, but rather to sniff them out! There are some very legit trainers out there who are relevant and progressive and incredible! I strive to be one of those trainers, so by following up with the other leaders in the industry I continue to push myself, my knowledge, and my practice of fitness.
Here is a recent post from MMA Trainer Johnathan Chaimberg. It made me laugh because I agree 100% wholeheartedly. I couldn't have written it better myself. Read On...

There is a big trend in my industry now of what I call haters. Now haters only believe in one tool, and think all others are crap. Crosfit = crap, so and so trainer = crap, long distance runs = crap etc. I used to be a half hater.

I was open to many different training modalities, as long as my athletes improved, but I would disregard other trainers and training styles if they didn't fit into my equation. I've since changed my tune. Life is too short to hate things. I now believe in tools for jobs.

Since this is an MMA site, our sport of choice is MMA. So is slow long distance running a good tool for our sport? No. I'm personally a fan of high intensity intervals (sprint, sled, etc.) as one of my tools for conditioning. If you are a marathon runner, triathlete, etc. then long distance running is a great tool. I've also been on record for saying I hate crossfit. Let me go on record now to say that I don't "hate" it, I just don't think it's the proper tool for elite MMA athletes. That's not to say crossfitties are not elite athletes. I respect the shit out of what they put their bodies through, and as a mental tool I love it, just not right for my sport.

Just like fighting where you need to find the right tools to make you the best you can be, that's my job as a coach. Finding the right tools to make my guys the best they can be, so stop crucifying other modalities, life's too short. A hammer works well on nails, much better than a screw driver, that's not to say the screwdriver is not a great tool, just not for nails. Food for thought...

No comments: